Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hush-a-bye

There are few things in this world as soothing as a lullaby, and as I sit here listening to Sov Gott by Jewel, I'm reminded at how little time I have to sing lullabies to Layla before she starts kicking me out of her room.

This magical time of night when we sit in her rocker and turn on Rockabye Baby on Pandora (BLAST YOU LOWES ADS! Must upgrade to Pandora 1) holds some of my favorite moments. I sing softly along to Layla's favorite songs and watch her tiny eyes become heavy with sleep and feel her little body fall soft & tired in my arms. I look out her bedroom window and think about the hopes and dreams I have for her - then wonder what hopes and dreams she will have for herself & if she will always remember these quite nights when she fit perfectly into the crook of my arms and rested her head on my chest. Will she remember the words to All the Pretty Little Horses when she is 13 and at her first sleepover unable to sleep because she is homesick? Will she have an affinity toward Journey because we played the Rockabye Baby version of Don't Stop Believin' over and over and over & will she like the Bob Dylan version of Make You Feel My Love or Adele's? Will she listen to lullabies at 27, much like I am doing now, and find the same comfort and contentment in them?

But for now, while I still can, I'll get in as many Your Are My Sunshines, Somewhere Over the Rainbows, Baby Mines, When You Wish Upon a Stars and Silent Nights (L's favorite, by far) as I can. & know that I'm getting just as much out of these lullabies as my child.... and know this because it's 10pm on a Sunday, she is fast asleep and I'm still listening.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you said her first sleep-over at 13. Silly mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sleep overs before that we will be at our house :x Heh. Never thought I'd be "that" Mommy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...