Thursday, January 6, 2011

Furbabies

Oprah today is about animals. All sorts of fluffy, cuddly and cute animals. Besides the obligatory Oprah make-you-cry story she pushed the ever so important issue of rescue and adoption.

I've seen both worlds. Growing up I had an amazing purebred Golden Retriever, Boomer. He came from champion bloodlines, his father and grandfather winning Best of Breed at Westminster. He was the light of my life for 7 years until he was diagnosed with Cushings Disease. We ended his suffering only 48 hours after his diagnosis. After I lost him, I decided that the next animal I bring into my life would be a rescue.

Enter the cats. 4 years ago Mr G and I adopted these two crazy kitties:

Rocco


Bella

And three years ago we adopted this cow:

Luciano - we call him Lucky. Yes, as in Lucky Luciano. He's a mobster. What can we say?

We adopted all three cats from the same no kill rescue. It was the best thing we've ever done. I seriously think that rescue animals know that you saved them. I've never met three more loving, caring and gentle cats as these three.

As much as I want another purebred Golden in the future, I think Mr G. and I will head down to our local shelter and rescue. We plan on doing this when L is old enough to pick out her dog. I remember the day I brought my puppy home and I cannot wait for Layla to experience the same thing with a dog that she can say she rescued :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...