Friday, September 9, 2011

You're 20? Okay, have a hysterectromy.

I don't talk often about my issues with Endometriosis. Maybe I should talk more? I came to an agreement with myself not too long ago that I wouldn't allow Endo to define me, but rather to say it's just what I have. I will say that it has helped to shape me, though, to make me stronger and to better understand the importance of a full and happy life.

When I was diagnosed my first doctor recommended a hysterectomy. Three doctors after that also recommended hysters - all without an exploratory lap to see where my Endo was. When I said no they threw a pack of Seasonale my way with a 'script for pain killers and basically said, "have a nice life."

I was barely 21-22. A baby myself. Fresh out of college. I had just met Mr G. Babies were definitely not on the horizon for us, but a hysterectomy wasn't either. So, what was I to do? I did research. TONS and tons of research and found that a hysterectomy was not a cure. So, Mr G and I decided that it was best for me to for-go any thoughts of a hysterectomy and continue on the pill. But ... that left me in constant pain, running very high fevers (& ultimately getting sick from those fever) every month (imagine calling out of work every month for a sinus infection. eventually they're not going to like you much), and always always always thinking about my fertility (I haven't touched quite yet on fertility. It's not easy to talk about, neither is this topic, really - but it's all about educating and sharing personal stories that may one day help someone else, right?).

Endometriosis can be a very lonely disease. Not everyone understands that it's just not a 'period', and that if you do allow it, Endo can and will define you. It will take over your life and run you down so fast that you won't have time to get your footing and catch your breath. It will grab your uterus, ovaries, than your fallopian tubes, leave you on the floor crying in pain thinking no one knows, that no one 'gets it.' But have faith that more and more people DO get it. We understand. We know. Some of us have experienced it. I have experienced it. I've laid on the floor, knees into my chest whispering, "God make it stop." I've been on the morphine drips, thrown up from my pain killers, gained weight on Norethindrone, almost got a divorce on Lupron and strongly (at one point) reconsidered a hysterectomy to the point that the decision was made & the doctor had been called.

But I reminded myself that I was too young. That it was not a cure and that I could fight this bitch Endo with bare fists and a rage so strong she wouldn't know what punched her.

And I did punch her. I continue to on a daily basis.

***I don't personally recommended a hysterectomy to anyone. Unless you are done having a children (or don't want them) and are okay with the risk of the pain not going away. Please, do your research before you make any decisions. What was good for me may not be good for you :)***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...