... which means according to everyone else, you know jack shit.
Your mom, sisters, mother-in-law & total strangers will inevitably know better than you.
Books lie. Pediatricians lie, too. (Actually, this sometimes can be true)
According to everyone else, your nursing (and exclusively breastfed baby) should not be eating every 2-3 hours. A baby should, no matter what, be sleeping through the night, uninterrupted & 12 hours straight by 3 months. By 4 months that kid should have rice in her formula, and if she isn't on formula yet should be supplementing with formula.
WHA? No schedule!? EXCUSE ME? You co-sleep!? Blasphemy!
Now, do not get me wrong - when I have no effing idea what the hell I'm doing that first person I call is my mother (Hi, Mom!), and I thank the good Lord every day for her knowledge in baby-raising. I've also called my older sister on occasion. The woman has four kids. She knows a thing or two, but I'm doing things just a 'wittle bit different and different (which means change ::GASP::) can be a little off or scary for some. No big deal.
I wrote about old school vs new school here. I'm more of a new school mama but that doesn't mean I'm wrong; nor does it mean that old school mamas are wrong, either.
What is frustrating to me is that when I explain this I get a look. The look makes me second guess my choices as a mother and often leads me to feel like I'm not doing a good job. I then remember that my child is in the 75% percentile for weight and 90% for height. She is a champion eater and a little nursling who loves boob. I still have no issues letting her sleep with me or using me as a pacifier. She's is 5 months old & self soothing at this point means to her, "Oh, I've cried and cried and cried. I'm tired. There must not be anyone out there for me."
Things have changed in the last 20+ years. We understand infants better - their needs and wants, which allows mommies to be effective mother's. Effective mothering means healthier and more independent children. I strongly believe there is a reason why obesity is such an issue in the states, and that is because we don't inform and educate mother's on the benefits of breastfeeding or baby-led solids or what exactly is going into your child's formula.
So, my exclusively breastfed baby who will be starting baby-led solids (you can read about baby-led solids here) next month will remain co-sleeping with her mommy and daddy for the next few months & breastfed till she is 12 months.
There is a reason why my child is so happy. Because I AM A GOOD MOMMY.
No comments:
Post a Comment