Friday, March 11, 2011

Adding. Not subtracting.

Lent is upon us again. One year I gave up chocolate cream filled donuts. Another year soda. I don't eat chocolate filled donuts anymore, nor do I drink soda. This year I decided to do something different. Instead of giving up something in my life that I love (i.e. ... ice cream or cookies or cake .... see a pattern here?), I decided to add something to my life:

Reading with Layla. Once a day, every day.

I used to be an avid reader. Avid as in I could read a book in a few hours and had a to-read list 50 books deep at any given time. Then I became a mommy and sitting down to read a book for myself has become hard. I miss reading, though. I miss diving into a book and losing myself to it. I miss the way the binding on a new book is inflexible, each page fresh & untouched (and I'm currently singing "Like a Virgin" in my head as I type this); no coffee stains from sitting next to my morning cup or disheveled look from being carried around in my bag. New books are fun. But I haven't seen a new book in quite some time ...::insert sad face here::

So, how to fix this dilemma? Bust out the old books to read to a new person! Of course. Duh. Winning <- is that over played? Probably is.

Last night LG and I read Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit. Now, for those that don't know me don't realize my love for that little rabbit. Layla's entire room is a Peter Rabbit/English country side theme. We sat and read, looked at pictures ... I used different voices. It was a grand old time. 3/4 the way through Layla fell asleep and I kept reading. I could tell just the sound of my voice was calming and that even though her eyes were closed she was taking in every single word. Reading out-loud to her took reading in general to an entirely new level. It was fantastic. Probably the best Lent promise I've ever made.

Tonight on the list is Tom Kitten. We'll finish the rest of Beatrix Potter and move on to the host of other small books she has, and eventually the big ones - like her Grimm's Fairy Tale book that Mr G's sister got her.

There is nothing better than reading with your child. Not only does it help their imagination grow, it reminds you that you still have one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...