I've had run-of-the-mill writers block lately. What to blog about? What's interesting? What's happening? What will keep readers attention? What is going on in my life that isn't boring or all omg my life is so freaking fabulous. do you want to see a million pictures and read nonsense about my family. i know you do because OMG MY LIFE IS FABULOUS. I want my blog to have substance, to teach, & be for me to collect my thoughts and ultimately learn (HELLO, have I not written that like 15 times since I started this thing!?) So, here is an interesting little topic that I just thought of while watching Layla 'grocery shop' - aka push her Bumbo seat around the house while picking random items and putting them into the seat part of the Bumbo.
Spanking.
Sensitive topic, much? Maybe on the line with vaccines, working mom vs stay at home moms, & breastfeeding in public? Probably, but here goes nothing:
I was spanked as a kid. I was also chased up steps, had shoes throw at me (Ok, just once. On Christmas day and I don't even remember why), and was threatened (constantly by my grandfather Saverio [told you we're Italian] while he sat with a glass of wine) by the obligatory Italian wooden spoon. For some reason I vowed to myself to NOT spank my children. I suppose for a while I thought it was not an effective form of discipline, and to be honest, I still am not 100% sure it is. Either way, lately I've found that the only way to get my point across to Layla is to give her a gentle tap on the hand. We're still battling the GET OUT OF THE CAT FOOD, LAYLA! fight & Mr G and I seem to be losing .... to a 14 month old. She knows damn well that she should not be in the bowl. When I give her a stern no she looks at me and smiles. A few days ago after being told no a few times, she went back to the bowl and tipped it upside down. Cat food all.over.the.floor. Toddler? I think so.
What else is a mother to do? Frustrations are high, child won't listen, and it seems like the only way to make that no stick is to show you mean business. I'm not one for smacks across the face, or going out to the tree in the back yard and picking your own branch. But it does seem that I will resort to a tap on the hand to emphasize my point. I have no idea if this is shit parenting or not, but at some point Layla will realize that she cannot get away with everything & that no... well, means NO.
No comments:
Post a Comment