Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Sleep Chronicles

I think having a child who doesn't sleep is right up there with a colicy newborn as being one of the hardest things to deal with as a parent.

Layla's sleeping has been up and down since the day we brought her home. She slept and then she didn't sleep. She'd pull a random 6 hours out of her and the next night we'd be struggling just to get her down. She has ALWAYS fought Mr. Sandman as if her life were dependent on it. We called our home Club Layla for the sheer fact that is was L 24/7 (don't be fooled, it still is).

Ok, I'm going to get on my own ass here. I think her sleeping issues are because of co-sleeping. I can't be 110% sure, and there are plenty of children out there who get on just fine sleeping in their own beds all.night.long after a successful bout of co-sleeping. So, I can really only speculate (since she may just be a shit sleeper). Layla is currently in her own crib at night, though she is up on average four times & often every hour on the hour other nights. This mommy is at her wits end. Mr G has had to save me a few nights (how lucky is he to have the opportunity to sleep) because I saw a glimpse at how some mothers can go batty in .02 seconds. I'm not one to hold back and will say that I was face to face with my infant and said, "GO TO F TO SLEEP." You know? Kind of like that book that just hit the shelves of Barnes and Noble recently but with just a hint of Joan Crawford.

Sleep deprivation is about as fun as a root canal with no novacaine. Last night I took matter into my own hands and despite everything I am against gave Layla a 7oz bottle of warm formula (Organic, of course, because God forbid I'm one of 'those' mothers)and praise Sweet Baby Jesus she slept from 9pm-3am, nursed (because holy shit I was a freaking faucet & left my pump back home) and slept again from 3-7am. THANK YOU.

We will see how she reacts again tonight, while I sit and regret every minute that I forgot my pump and end up sleeping on my back because my breasts can be used as flotation devices for a full 747.

In other news, Toronto is bad ass. The weather is fab (HELLO 75* days and 65* nights. I lurveeee you) and the food... well, let's just say I brought my belly band for a reason and I'm currently using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...