Breastfeeding. It's a personal choice and a choice that should be respected.
At this point I probably have your attention, and let me say this before I continue: I respect and appreciate a mother's decision to breastfeed OR formula feed OR supplement. Each and every baby is different, and while I will always feel that breast is best there will always be circumstances that may prevent a mother from doing so, and I can understand that. (p.s. I had a severe allergy to the proteins in my own mother's milk & was formula fed. I can appreciate a colicky baby, as I was apparently hellacious as an infant :o) )
Ok - so this afternoon at work a gentleman made a comment that really hit a nerve. I could very well be taking this out of context, but he said in a very sarcastic tone, and I quote, "Oh, yeah. I'd give anything to sit next to a nursing mother." Now, I work for an airline (and a very popular one at that), so of course he wouldn't want to get stuck on a 2.5 hour flight next to a mother who is only trying to feed her child. God.for.bid. The naivety of his comment made my blood boil, but alas, I was at work so I had to keep my mouth shut.
While out and about I've gotten quite a few looks from random strangers while nursing Layla. 9 times out of 10 I will find a place off in the corner somewhere so I can nurse quietly and privately so as not to make anyone barf up their tacos; & I remember trying to be polite once and going out of my way to sit at the far end of a room when some asked me 'what do you have under that blanket?' REALLY? A freakin' puppy you nitwit. Unfortunately that is not always possible, so I toss on my cover and go about my business. Besides, I'd assume that someone would rather look at my pretty nursing cover (and knowing my boob is exposed underneath) vs listening to Layla scream her head off in hunger.
There is such a negative connotation that comes along with public breastfeeding. Within today's society, and despite breastfeeding becoming more popular (for lack of a better word), it is still somewhat of a taboo. Mom's who educate themselves on breastfeeding know the endless benefits, but there is still a mainstream thought process that does not support mom's who do chose to attach their babe's to the breast.
All I know is this guy was lucky that I wasn't another passenger on his flight. If I was and had heard him, I probably would've whipped out my left one and nursed sans cover. But that's just me.
And if you are a momma-to-be who wants to nurse or a new mommy who is nursing THIS website is an amazing resource.
p.s. sleep update: Layla is sleep 8pm-5am pretty much every.single.night. WHATWHAT! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment