Monday, April 16, 2012
Why we eat organically
In the years that have passed that label has become my BFF.
If I had to look back, I'd say we started to 'convert' our kitchen when I was first diagnosed with Endometriosis. My mother read up on causes and natural ways to control pain and found that doctors believe(d) a leading cause of Endo is hormones found in meats & dairy. The more we read, the more it made sense, & the more we started to buy things that were deemed to be made naturally or organically. Wasn't easy to come across 8 or 9 years ago, whereas now we've got USDA Organic labels on the regular shelves at Target and local grocers.
There's a downside: eating organically is expensive. Like break the bank, take from my daughters college fund expensive. Forget shopping at Whole Foods because I'll tell ya right now three apples cost about $75 (Ok, I'm exaggerating... a little). These days, though, Target (aka MY FAVORITE PLACE IN THE WORLD) has an amazing selection of yummy, budget friendly organic items. My heart literally skips a beat when we go grocery shopping there - I can get Layla organic apple juice (which she just started drinking at 16 months because I'm a nut and decided to be the Juice Nazi and say, "NO JUICE FOR YOU."), milk, yogurt, eggs... etc etc etc. We follow the Dirty Dozen rule, & generally buy the rest of our produce as conventionally grown.
Don't get me wrong, we're not die hard crunchy people over here. I'm not all must-eat-quinoa-for-every-meal crazy. Infact, I hate quinoa. There's a package of double stuffed Oreos, mini red velvet cupcakes, & potato bread in my pantry, & Friendlys ice cream in my freezer. Last week I was desperate for milk and Mr G had to buy a half gallon of conventional milk to last us till Publix opened the next day. Almond milk makes me gag (probably because I hate almonds), but Layla sucks it down like it's God's gift to this Earth. But... BUT, there are things I won't skimp on - organic meat is a must (but, again, I'll buy conventional in a pinch). Organic peanut butter is another, as well as canned tomatoes. & for the most part, we are very very strict with dairy and limiting overly processed foods in our home.
It takes some extra budgeting every week & maybe eating out less (c'mon even we like to go over to Chilis every now and then and eat until you have to roll us out. processed chicken and all), but local organic buying groups, farmers markets, & real butchers help our cause. It does mean that I usually have to hit four places to get my grocery shopping done on a Sunday, but I do it gladly to know that I'm feeding my child healthy food... Only to cook it and watch her promptly take two bites and throw the rest on the floor.
Oh, and I swear I'm not "that" mom, I don't really limit my kids TV watching (always said I would), she did eat a chocolate covered Peep for breakfast on Easter, & we eat mac & cheese (Annie's organic, yes - but it throws Kraft under.the.bus.. SO GOOD) at least once a week. & we just shared a homemade not-so-organic chocolate chip cookie at 11:30am on a Monday BEFORE lunch ::gasp!:: :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment