Monday, June 27, 2011

You become Mommy and Daddy

Prior to LG Mr G and I called each other by our first names or whatever pet names we had: Babe, Bum, Poohbear {Yeah, I know}, HeyYou, Asshole... you know the usual. Now that we have Layla we call each other Mommy and Daddy. I had heard couples with kids doing this before we had Layla and I could never understand why OR how they ended up doing this?

Now? I get it.

It's an anomaly really. It happens the moment your child is born. You automatically go through this transformation from, "Hi, my first name is [blank]" right to, "Hi, my first name is Mommy." You can't fight it, so don't even try. You conversations become something like this:

"Hi, Daddy, can you pick up milk and eggs on the way home from work?"
"Of course, Mommy. How is Baby?"

REALLY? WTF happened to our NAMES? You know that one's our parents painstakingly thought over and chose with great care and attention to our future endeavors, so as not to give us a name like Dick or Gaylord (no offense to those named Dick or Gaylord) and destroy any possibility of marriage or job promotion.

I mean, I love my new name as Mommy, but I don't really see it so much as a name. Mommy is a role that I play on a day to day basis. I do find it endearing that Mr G calls me Mommy, though, and I do believe he finds it equally as endearing that I call him Daddy. It just really is very strange that you go from this couple that goes to see R rated movies every weekend and calling each other your legal, given names to singing cartoon theme songs in the kitchen on Sunday while mopping the floor and screaming, "MOMMY LOVES THAT BABY LOVES MICKEY MOUSE CLUB HOUSE, RIGHT DADDY?"

Hi, my name is Tess & my husband and I are officially 'those people' welcome to our life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...